innerfictions

Sunday 3 October 2010

The mundane / merely conventional signs . . .

It's really intriguing - my postings have elicited concern from some, and seem to have positively freaked out others. I admit on occasions I've had a debate with myself about what is appropriate to reveal, and wondered about my judgment. . . but . . . it's not as if I'm cornering people and laying it on them - it's a just a blog, and boring one at that, for the vast majority.

Yes, some of what I reveal has been personal. But reading back, what strikes me is that the facts and stories are so fucking mundane - common - ordinary. They are the stuff of millions and millions of people's inner selves.

But, if I've learnt anything about the inner concerns, desires and obsessions of people, very few match the state of "normalcy" we pretend to be; while appearing blithely convinced they have a grip on reality, which everyone else lacks. A certainty, which reads as more and more of a tactic to stave off admitting the uncertain reality of their thoughts and feelings. And yes, I recognise myself in this description.

So, enough. Why is it so shocking to reveal the common? Why does it feel scary to do it, and why are people so edgy when they hear it? Is it just a case of breaking the rules; breaking conventions . . .

Or am I mistaken . . . of course, conversations are far more complex than this, with their expectations - or more properly, fear of other's expectations.




He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

"What's the good of Mercator's North Poles and Equators,
Tropics, Zones, and Meridian Lines?"
So the Bellman would cry: and the crew would reply
"They are merely conventional signs!

"Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
But we've got our brave captain to thank"
(So the crew would protest) that he's bought us the best--
A perfect and absolute blank!"
The Hunting of the Snark (An Agony in 8 Fits) - Lewis Carroll



No comments: